Hope In The New World

by Deborah Hill

One night during a difficult period of my cancer treatment I awoke from a seeming sleep and felt an extreme depth of aloneness and feel - the one that the elderly who are alone feel. Perhaps they have no medical care - or it's not working; no suppport, or family or distant family. It felt like living in a black hole of pain and fear. I knew this was not my fear. I was seeing and feeling the pain and fear of others, and I was horrified and felt deep compassion for them. There are so many of these people living now. And there are going to be so many more.
The upcoming years are so important. Who will take care of them/us? Perhaps, our new administration will help us to solve the issues involved. But we all need to be actively looking at this important issue and finding ways to help our elders and to change our medical system so that it works for everyone.
My father has built senior citizen high rise buildings that offer medical care, transportation and activities for people living there. Each unit has its own kitchen and is very comfortable. Or, they can go down and dine with others. Some don't want to move out of their homes. There is a great need for in-home care, visitation and transportation. Organizations are being formed that help these people. Or, perhaps we can build some. I'm open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment